Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Teaching Abroad

{picture}

I need some advice. 

This has been a dream of mine for soooooo long. 

I have been trying to teach abroad for YEARS it seems about now, and I am finally setting into the idea that this can actually happen next year. I am meeting with my academic advisors tomorrow to see if my student teaching would work going abroad, and if so, there will be nothing stopping me from doing so.

Now, what I need advice on is, WHICH program works? And which program would you suggest? There are a million programs out there, but some are shady, some are bad, some pay real bad, and then there are some good ones, but they are hard to find and its hard to figure out which ones are which. 

I figure, if I can pull this off, which nothing usually ever works out in my favor... but lets pretend it did.... I could do my student teaching in Costa Rica for the semester, get paid to work there, get a certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language, and then come back and have the certificate and be ready to graduate by June 2012, and maybe use the ESL certificate to get a job in September........

This is all up in the air,,, but if you can suggest ANY sort of program that you have heard of or have used before, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

12 comments:

Christina said...

Apologies...no suggestions, but How Exciting & that picture made me smile!!! I hope things work out for you. Stay positive:)

PorkStar said...

That's a pretty awesome idea. I have friends that have done some teaching abroad. However, most have been doing voluntary work.

ESL in other countries is not very well paid, but you certainly can find programs through the country's embassy in the US, for instance.

I love your idea.

Besos

Nicole said...

That's an awesome idea! I don't have suggestions, but I wish you a giant GOOD LUCK! :D

Kattrina said...

The only program I know that can be trusted is Peace Corps. It's definitely a bit more intense than a study abroad obviously and takes a lot more commitment, but it takes the best care of you. A few friends of mine did JET, which is the only program that pays well, as far as I know. Most programs are sketchy and volunteer and some you even have to pay for.... Good luck!!! I did Peace Corps and love it though, just not sure if it's your cup of tea!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Awww sorry but I do not know of any programs out there. But I did want to wish you all the best of luck with this. I hope everything works out!

Katherina said...

Never done the Teaching Abroad thing... but I know a lot of blogger who have done it and are still doing it now! So in case you want me tell you about them, drop me an e-mail!

Unknown said...

I have no idea what you should do but it sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want to do and I want to highly encourage you to do so! Sounds amazing!

Jhan said...

Oh man! Last year in undergrad (I was a Spanish minor), my professor tried so hard to convince me to teach English in Spain. For the life of me, I can't think of the program she told me about. If I think of it, I'll be sure to let you know. It would be a GREAT opportunity.

My sister is getting her Masters in Spanish in Spain right now. As a side job, she teaches grade school children English, but that's only for a few hours a day/week, and she found that job on her own merit. I guess you can go about doing it that way.

Sophia Chang said...

I second JET - everyone and their mom does it.

Steph said...

First of all, I think it's wonderful that you are a step closer to achieving your goal and dream of teaching abroad! :)

Not too sure about the credibility of the programs but im sure that your school might have some neat idea about this. Spent a semester in University at Buffalo and I recalled attending a talk where the lecturers shared about the different experiences of teaching abroad so that's definitely something u can explore.

else, JET is a good program and I want to take it up sometime in future. Having said that, Japan is currently facing many challenges so there might be a halt to its JET programs. Keep us posted:)

Teach.Workout.Love said...

thank u for all ur comments. I will def check out JET!

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

I've heard good things about JET as well. I did the teaching assistantship through the French Cultural Services in the US. There is a similar program in Spain. You can also try for Fulbright Scholarships in Germany (if you speak German!). All of these are very similar programs - I recommend! Although lots of times in rural places... Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...